Why Share the Gospel Online?

Now all of you know that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are constantly reminded and encouraged continually to share the gospel with others. The Church is always looking for the most effective ways to declare our message... may I ask you to join the conversation by participating on the Internet, particularly the New Media, to share the gospel and explain in simple, clear terms the message of Restoration. Most of you already know that if you have access to the Internet you can start a blog in minutes and begin sharing what you know to be true.

-Elder M. Russell Ballard
December 15, 2007 BYU Hawaii

Friday, July 11, 2008

Sharing what is most important

The missionaries stopped by the other night to share a really cool video with us. It was made by some of the missionaries in the Charlotte, NC mission. It was so well put together. There were a few things in there that stuck out in my mind that I wanted to share. It was a quote from Pres Eyring that he shared a while back. He said something like, "Some day every single person will know what you know, and they will know that you knew it, and they will remember whether you tried to share it with them or not." There are so many people out there looking for the truth but just don't know where to find it. I find myself judging who will except the message of the gospel. I have come to realize this is so foolish. Just because someone appears to not be ready by smoking or having many tattoos, etc. doesn't mean that they aren't searching for the happiness and peace that the gospel brings. The message of the gospel is for EVERYONE.
Another thing they quoted from Elder Eyring was that everyone has their own technique of sharing the gospel. Some always have a Book of Mormon with them, others a pass along card, some have a list of thought provoking questions or topics that make it possible to bring the gospel up. He said no matter what your method, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ONE. I decided to make a list of some things that are easily brought up in conversation that can lead the conversation to the gospel. There are so many ways we can share our testimonies every single day. We just have to be looking for them.
In the movie they interviewed a convert to the church and he said that he had been meeting with the missionaries for months but it wasn't until a member shared their testimony with him that he decided to get baptized.
Let the gospel be such a part of your every move and thought that it is only natural for it to come up with everyone you talk to. That you cannot help but spread it to every living soul. It is when we are putting forth our best effort that our Heavenly Father lets us be an instrument in His hands.

Where would you be without the gospel?? There are many people who are there and want out. You know the way, help guide them to the light.

I have been trying to keep these things in mind and hope that I can become a better missionary.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks for this post. Missionary work has been on my mind a lot lately. My biggest problem is that I don't know many people outside of the church. So my first goal is to get to know people. I have been bringing extra cherries that we get to our neighbors, or taking walks and making sure to say hello or try to start conversations. Once I know people better it will make sharing my testimony so much easier. I do know this is the true church and that it brings SO much happiness, and I would like to share that happiness with others. Hopefully I will improve in this area soon.

Barlow said...

What a great post. One thing I try is to never "play down" the church. For example, I am always asked where I learned Spanish. I know some people say, "I lived in Venezuela" or something like that. I try to say some thing like "I learned it on my mission." I know that out side of Utah, not everyone will know what you are talking about, but that is the point, it makes them ask what your talking about. Same thing with Baby blessing, temple visits, etc. If someone asked how your weekend went, include your Sunday. Anyway, that is what I try to do.