Why Share the Gospel Online?

Now all of you know that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are constantly reminded and encouraged continually to share the gospel with others. The Church is always looking for the most effective ways to declare our message... may I ask you to join the conversation by participating on the Internet, particularly the New Media, to share the gospel and explain in simple, clear terms the message of Restoration. Most of you already know that if you have access to the Internet you can start a blog in minutes and begin sharing what you know to be true.

-Elder M. Russell Ballard
December 15, 2007 BYU Hawaii

Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference Inspiration

This past weekend I spent several hours sitting at the feet of prophets....well really I sat at the computer and listened to the prophets. I was reminded how grateful I am that I belong to a church that has inspired leaders and modern day revelation. The current prophet of the Lord is Thomas S. Monson and I was deeply touched by one of his talks on Sunday. It felt like he spoke directly to me as he said to enjoy life right now. To not worry about the piles of laundry or the finger prints that are on every newly cleaned surface. I knew this was not just an old man telling me to enjoy my kids when they are young, but these phrases seemed to be coming from my Father in Heaven, letting me know that it is OK to have "piles of laundry" it is OK that as soon as my house gets clean someone comes along and messes it up. That so long as I am choosing the right, keeping the commandments and enjoying TODAY, then the rest will be fine. In fact he said that one day I would miss it!! (I am not sure I have enough faith to believe that I will miss these things, but who knows) Although I felt spiritually uplifted by all of the talks I had a few favorite that I thought I would share with you:

1. L. Tom Perry spoke about simplifying you life. He spoke of eating nutritious food, regular exercise, and getting enough sleep (all of which I am currently trying to do better with) He also spoke of having simplified clothes and stated that what we wear lets people know who we are and that casual dress = casual manners.
2. Dallin H. Oaks gave a fabulous talk on the observances during Sacrament Meetings. He reminded me that getting there early is required for fulling preparing for the Sacrament of the Lord. He also said that amusement, light mindedness, and laughter are not appropriate for those meetings.
3.Joseph B Worthlin being to weak to stand gave his talk from his seat and I could not take my attention from it. He spoke of reacing to adversity and gave the following advice when dealing with trials: a) learn to laugh b) seek for the eternal c) understand the principle of compensation..which is that God will compensate us for every trial we endure. d) put our trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus. He also stated "Come what may..and LOVE it!"

There were MANY more talks all of which will help us to become more like Christ and bring joy and happiness into our homes. I encourage everyone to read them when they are available. (a text version will be available to read on Thursday October 9th at http://www.lds.org/ .

I know my Savior lives, and loves me. He is my rock and my salvation.

2 comments:

GordonTucker said...

double post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boyer Family said...

I actually just came to this sight to get a link off of it today but realized I hadn't read your post yet. I really needed a reminder of the words of the talks you shared. To enjoy life even if it isn't "perfect". I am really excited to go back and read some of these talks especially since I didn't get to hear a few that you talked about.